Saturday, October 1, 2022

2.5.7 Internet Service Facts

The variety of methods you can access the internet fascinated me as I went through this LabSim section. Since I had never heard of several of the service types mentioned in this course before, I felt it somewhat intrusive to learn about them. Depending on where you reside and the numerous technologies being used to deliver the connection to your home, shopping for internet services is crucial. I want to share two service types that were described in this section which I found to be particularly alarming.  

The first one is fiber optic internet, which transmits data across a cable made of tiny glass or plastic fibers. Through these, data is transmitted as a pattern of pulsed light beams. Compared to other media, they can send more data faster and across greater distances. You'll find fiber optic cables commonly used in health and research fields.

The second is the Digital Subscriber Line (DSL). A DSL offers access to the internet through telephone lines and a modem, which is a piece of hardware that stands between an internet connection and a computer, wireless router, smart TV, or other device. There are several similarities between DSL and cable; their only distinction is in how they are set up. While a cable goes through wiring installed by a cable company, the DSL uses the copper wiring of a landline phone system.

When selecting your Internet Service Provider (ISP), availability, speed, and cost are the three important things to think about. Speed provides you with the support you need for all of your online activities, and the cost must be reasonable given what you receive. Also, your local service providers have a significant impact on the Wi-Fi quality in your area.

18 comments:

  1. Glad the section on Internet Service Facts introduced you to two of the ways an Internet Service Provider (ISP) can facilitate connectivity :-)

    In a later presentation, I will mention more ways an ISP can facilitate connectivity ^_^

    Yes, it's often a balance act between cost and quality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this about ISPs. Almost all advanced companies are switching to Fiber Optics. Also Fiber Optic Cables are immune to Electronic Magnetic Interference because it utilizes light pulses not electronic pulses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Internet service has evolved so much. I still remember using AOL Dial up internet. There are a few methods that we can access the internet, one of them is mobile hotspot. Using mobile hotspot has helped me a lot when I lose internet connection through my service provider.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish there were more options than Cox for ISP. I read that mobile phone companies, like T-Mobile, are beginning to offer internet service in some parts of Vegas. This is something that I would definitely look into as reliability and cost are huge factors for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish Cox did not own the market on the internet. Some of the other companies I have tried and they are either to slow or just terrible service. I am with you on that Tiffany we need more competition to lower the prices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The development of the Internet is integrating the Internet, big data, artificial intelligence, and the real economy. Specifically, the development of the Internet has gone through four stages:
    First, Internet 1.0 completed the digitalization of traditional advertising.
    Second, the Internet 2.0 stage has completed the content industry data.
    Third, the mobile Internet stage has completed the digitalization of the life service industry.
    Fourth, the Internet phase is everything can be connected and digitized.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do we know of a good reliable inexpensive internet company here in Nevada that provides fiber optics? Since I've been here, it seems like Cox has monopolized the internet industry here. I've been unlucky with finding a replacement provider.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man you should of seen what dialup was like. It take forever to sign in and a long time to download a picture. So glad that fiber optics and DSL and in play no matter what they are both better than dialup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One fact I have observed with our lone ISP in Las Vegas is they have data caps and put very little effort in rolling out fiber for the entire city. Yes I know there is CenturyLink but they do not serve the entire city so I can not label them an ISP if I am unable to actually buy their service.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish we had the option to purchase fiber optics, because from my experience, only specific companies provide this type of service. In comparison to the whole world, the United States still has the best ISP by far. If you were to wonder why, then by all means do all the research.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I completely agree that when choosing an ISP, one must consider availability, speed, and cost. These are all important factors that will impact your experience with the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how Dial Up is being mentioned in the comments. I remember Dial Up too! It wasn't long before we were able to get a DSL connection. It was different to experience the older way of connecting to the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fiber optics fascinates me, there is a submarine fiber optic cable that provides interment across the sea. Yes sharks like swimming pass this because of the signals it submits and they like munching on it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard of fiber optic! I know there is fiber optic lights and I think that is pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I moved to Vegas, I was quick to look up and compare ISP's because I hate slow connection (and I hate Cox because they're the reason I wanted a new service!!!!!!) I don't know much about fiber optic but I'm very familiar with DSL.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish I would have had this information when selecting my cable provider. It would have saved me from choosing Dish Network. Now I reluctantly dwell in the third month of a two year contract, in which I do not feel they are upholding. Sorry, I clearly have resentments against Dish F***ING Network.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the helpful tips, especially with ISP.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wonder what other companies will raise to compete with Cox over the next five years or so.

    ReplyDelete